Thursday, February 14, 2019

Global warming and Worship Songs... What!!!


I was just thinking about the growth of the use of storms and rising tides to talk about trouble in worship songs and wondering if it isn't a symptom of Global Warming being on the mind of Pentecostal and Evangelical Churches?

for example Hillsong's Oceans... while it seems to be about the idea of stepping out in faith, like peter does out of the boat to walk to Jesus in Matthew 14 one of the lines in the refrain is...

When oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

 it does seem to me to be part of a response to global warming  sever weather events and the possibility of rising sea levels.

Is it worship as escapism? disguised as faith in God amidst the storm... Ruben Morgan's song 'When oceans rise and thunders roar' looks to be based on Psalm 29 which is this wonderful image of God speaking in the storm that comes up from the Mediterranean Ocean it does seem to be saying or hoping that we will soar with God who sits above the flood.

When the oceans rise

And thunders roar

I will soar with You

Above the storm

Father You are King

Over the flood

I will be still and know

You are God

Where as in the psalm the hope is in the very nature of God as the people of God ride out the storm in the temple being aware of the glory and power and majesty of God who creates the storms rather than the storm as a manifestation of a God like in the pagan religions around them. There hope like ours is not to be pulled out and be above the storm, but that god is sovereign above the flood.... God's people still have to weather the storm. I'm sure if we could do something about the storm they would also do it... 

Likewise worship group 'I am they" have just released a new album, or I've just become aware of it and one of the great catchy songs is "my feet are on the Rock" a very biblical image, like in Psalm 42.

I can see the clouds roll in
I can feel the winds, they try to shake me
I will not be moved
My feet are on the rock
I can feel the waters rise
I can hear the howling lies that haunt me
Fear won't hold me now
My feet are on the rock
When I feel my hope about to break
I will cling to Your unchanging grace
Let the waters come and the earth give way
I'll be dancing in the rain
My feet are on the rock


However as I listen to the lyrics it does seem to be a response to sever weather events and global warming. Here they are what do you think? once again it is good to acknowledge that even in the face of such events as climate change that we won't fear or be moved from faith. I do wonder if they are not in some ways lulling us into a false faith response to the ecological issues in our world... it's obviously on the minds of the song writers, it would be interesting to see music and messages coming about a Christian response to such things that went beyond dancing in the rain and playing in the wild waves... To hear from this growing part of the Christian Church some willingness to change and be active to an issue that is going to impact not only the middle class Christians they cater for but also the least that Jesus called us to care for.

When I say those things I'm also speaking to myself as we well by the way. recently at our Churches General Assembly we looked at measures we can take to  lower our carbon emissions and make our practises more environmentally friendly . I'm also not wanting to slam these songs and churches I'm just wondering if this is a start of an awakening about these issues that are very much at the forefront of peoples minds that has come out of a movement that has been at the forefront of helping grow spiritual vitality in emerging generations of Christians.

What do folk Think?  Am I way off base or is this the start of a response to global warming/climate change... and the hope is that there is more thoughtful stuff to come... or is it simply saying well when it starts really affecting me I'll trust in God to keep me safe.. a good response...but not what is needed at the moment...





No comments:

Post a Comment