Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Heartening Bible Verse and Voice.

I must say there are times when I am surprised by the presence and the goodness of God. I'm on the waiting list for an operation to unblock arteries round my heart (In New Zealand we have a wonderful but full Public Health System) and to be honest it is rather unsettling.

To use a roading metaphor they have decided to repave my arteries rather than by pass, and it is thee days a very common and easy operation, done under a local anesthetic rather even! But I have found myself worried and anxious about stuff and asking myself questions about life... as you do.What  have I actually achieved in life and is what I devote time and energy to really worth it?

Back to the being surprised by God. Today I opened up my daily verse and voice email from Sojourners and encountered encouragement from two trusted sources. From  St Paul in his letter to the Romans... for me scripture is a very trusted source, and from Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.
- Romans 12:12



It is a blessed thing to know that no power on earth, no temptation, no human frailty can dissolve what God holds together.

- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
 
 
While I'm not sure I'll be going as far as inking the verse on my skin (I'm a hairy old beast, and old, so it wouldn't look that good) but it is etched on my heart as a sign of God's love and care.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment