Thursday, October 25, 2018

Light in the dark: A reflection in pictures... My devotions for today without words... well I've put the words in to explain it.

Just a wee reflection on light and dark.. maybe a bit cheesy but hopefully helpful as it was for me.

The motif of light and dark is pervasive in the scriptures. Jesus calls himself the 'light of the world' (John 8:12). John speaks of the incarnation as being the light shining in the darkness (john 1)  We are invited to let our light shine before humanity to the glory of God our Father (Matthew 5:15). God himself is seen as light in 1 John 1:3.

My hobby at the moment is photography the practise of capturing light, and at the moment I'm exploring black and white photography and I carry my camera (not just my phone camera) with me where ever I go...

On my way to work I stopped off at the supermarket and was captivated by the light coming into a walkway from the underground carpark... it was a light well well lit... The architect did a good job...  In fact I found myself says well this rocks.. and if it was a rock band it would be the white stripes... (dad Joke).


Then I walked into church this morning, still thinking of light and shadow and at the front of our sanctuary I was drawn to the light from our spier shining down on the cross...  once again the architect had done a good job... But I felt God saying in a very visual way... focus on me, on the cross.. this dark place that is in actual fact the light of the world... focus on me I am the light for your life...


I took another photo (trying to be arty) of the church bathed in light and shadow.For me it talks of the ways in which we can knowledge of God's light from creation represented by the palm tree in our sanctuary and also a symbol of a person who delights in the word of God from psalm 1, and the ultimate way in which we can know God's presence and goodness… Jesus Christ, his incarnation and through the cross.


One the way out of the church I was captivated by the light coming through the  windows  round the top of the walls of the church and the light simply shining through on the very everyday block walls and mechanical window opener... and I thought this is my prayer in response to the Cross... Lord let your light shine in my darkness...


Then into my office and I noticed the light coming through the blinds (and the dirty window) and thought even here Lord let your light shine and guide my work...



No comments:

Post a Comment